"For all things are possible with God." - Mark 10:27
For the last couple weeks, I've been reading the book On Becoming Babywise. The book is really informational and encouraged me to establish a routine for my baby - because babies like it and good for training them to be independent. For two days, I was trying really hard to implement the feeding routine. Mercedes was doing really well during daytime naps, but then when real bedtime rolls around, she would cry and scream for hours. I was a little discouraged about the results of my plan... and was in doubt of my decisions and actions.
Then the Lord reminded me how much I need to trust Him in all things, including raising this child. I was trying so hard to follow the books but was discouraged that her responses are so different everyday. (DUH...) I didn't fully realize that she is still an individual and not a robot/computer - her output won't always match my input... (LOL, forgive me of my engineer talk.) I also was reminded of the fact that God is completely sovereign in "all things". He didn't give us a baby that is sleep trained and without sin. He didn't give Mercedes to some experienced parents but rather Lance and Shu - the imperfect/sinful parents that are perfectly chosen by God for Mercedes. Oh how I need to trust the Lord before the books and internet!
After God changing my attitude and me letting go of the book theories, God has made everything work out miraculously! Mer not only goes to naps without much difficulties, her bedtime fussiness hasn't been bad at all! She is also sleeping through the night (from 6 hours to 8 or 9 hours)! We have a happy little angel while she's awake, and a snoring Lumberjack while sleeping... It's very cute.
Praise the Lord for His sovereignty in all things! Babywise is absolutely possible with God!

A picture of our sleeping Mercedes.
This picture is about 5 weeks old, and she's already 2.5 months now.
2 comments:
Hi Shu! Glad you found me too. :) I know what you mean about book training vs. individualism. Joseph wasn't on a very set schedule for a long time, but he's kind of grown into one as we went along. I sometimes wonder if I should be more strict with timing of things, but he seems happy so I'm not going to stress about it. :)
Books can be very helpful, but no baby will follow them to the letter.
Let your baby take the lead in sleeping and eating when she feels like it. Eventually you will see patterns develop and thus a "schedule" is born.
By no means should you feel pressure to be regimented, but "schedules" and patterns do help you to figure out how to meet your baby's needs and how to best keep you and your baby happy.
Of course, now I notice that this post was months ago. You've probably got it all figured out by now.
(I will warn you, though, that once you get a pattern set, the baby will switch it up on you and start making a new daily pattern. They like to keep you on your toes that way.)
Post a Comment